Friday, October 29, 2010

“100 Alumni”: Masters, or least Bachelors, in Art

            The thing I like most about the art studio at USM is that it showcases a variety of exhibits. In the case of the current art exhibit, “100 Alumni: Centennial Alumni Exhibition”, I was not disappointed.  While visiting it earlier today, I viewed dozens of pieces of art from former USM students.  The exhibit, lasting from October 21 through November 20, is located in the Museum of Art at Marsh Hall.  Containing artwork from over eighty Southern Miss alumni, the collection is diverse in its contents as well as its mediums.
            It was this diversity of the exhibit that appealed to me most.  From the floral oil paintings to the abstract sculptures of clay and metal, the museum is filled with varied artworks.  An oil painting I grew particularly fond of is “Tossed Away” by 1975 alumnus Paula Duren.  Its eddies of color, which appear to have been indiscriminately strewn about on the canvas, almost seem to have been strategically patterned at the same time.  It was my favorite piece to wonder about, as I tried to find objects within the flowing lines of colors.  Another piece I especially liked was “Hot Chicken” by 2001 alumnus Donna Delmas.  This satirical piece, with two shots of a processed chicken lounging on a luxurious pillow, confused me.  I felt challenged by the artist to consider what my reaction should be.  Though still perplexed about both paintings, I am certain about one thing:  my appreciation for and enjoyment of the “100 Alumni” exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment